Being trans might mean you want or need access to trans-specific healthcare such as hormones or surgery. It can also mean you need to do things like change your name on your passport which requires a letter from your GP, or get help finding the right information about medical professionals that can care for you.

As a trans person getting medical care, you have the right to:

  • Use whatever name, pronouns and title you want.
  • Be referred to a Gender Identity Clinic (GIC) of your choosing by your GP.
  • Be taken seriously.
  • Obtain accurate information from your GP.

You do not:

  • Need any documentation to ‘prove’ you are trans.
  • Need to go through local mental health services.

If your GP doesn’t know the answers to your questions, they should research how best to support their trans patients, and they should research the NHS guidelines for what to do next.

Below are some common questions we get asked, with regards to healthcare for trans young people.  We refer here to Gender Identity Clinics (GICs), but please be aware that you may also hear them called Gender Dysphoria Clinics (GDCs) or Gender Identity Development Services (GIDS).

Trans rights in healthcare

You do not need to go through local mental health services to be referred to a GIC, your GP is able to refer you directly.

You can show them the General Medical Council’s advice on trans healthcare that you can find here. You can also get in touch with us as we might be able to help.

We have written a template to support you in asking for a referral. You can download it here, just edit the text in red and then print and pass it to your GP or, if they offer the service, email it to them.

Letter to GP - Referral

docx 17.74 KB


If you would like your GP to monitor your hormone levels and request a ‘bridging’ prescription (a prescription to ‘bridge’ the gap between self-medication and being seen by a GIC/trans health care specialist) we have written a template letter than can be sent to your GP to ask for this. You can find the letter here, just edit the text in red and then print and pass it on to your GP or, if they offer the service, email it to them.

If you are in need of a bridging prescription and would also like to request a referral, you can use this template letter here.

Please be aware that your GP may not agree to a bridging prescription. Get in touch with us if you need more advice.

Letter to GP - Bridging Prescriptions

[file_ext] 0.00 KB


You can find your nearest GIC on the NHS webpage ‘How to find an NHS gender dysphoria clinic’. This lists all of the NHS GICs with their addresses, phone numbers, email addresses and links to their websites. If you need any further help in contacting a GIC you can speak to a trusted adult using the Proud Connections chat.

The information contained on this page is intended as a general statement of the law and is true at the time of writing. Specific advice on a particular problem should always be sought from a qualified source.


Would you like to give some feedback on your experience on this website today?