Trans Healthcare


Being trans sometimes means you need to access trans-specific healthcare like hormones or surgery; it can also mean that you need to do things like, for instance, change your name or title with your GP, or get help with getting the right information to medical professionals that care for you.

What are my rights?

As a trans person getting medical care, you have the right to:

  • use whatever name, pronoun and title you want
  • be referred to a gender clinic of your choosing by your GP
  • get accurate information from your GP
  • be taken seriously!

You can download a poster with your rights at your GP surgery here: 

Do I need to see a local mental health team before I can go to a gender clinic?

You do not need to go through local mental health services to be referred to a gender identity clinic! Your GP is able to refer you directly.

My GP won’t refer me, or doesn’t know what to do…

You can show them the General Medical Council’s advice on trans healthcare; you can also get in touch with us, and we might be able to help.

We also have a template letter to request a referral below:

I’ve been self-medicating with hormones and would like my GP to monitor me…

If you would like your GP to monitor your hormone levels and request a ‘bridging’ prescription (a prescription to ‘bridge’ the gap between self-medication and being seen by a GIC/trans health care specialist), we have a template letter for this below.

There is also a combined template letter requesting both referral and a bridging prescription here:

Note that your GP may not agree to a bridging prescription. Get in touch with us if you need more advice!

I’ve been referred to a GIC, how do I get there?

If you’ve been referred to Leeds GIC, we’ve got some travel help for you here: 

If you’ve been referred to another GIC and need some help navigating how to get there, please contact us and we’d be glad to help.



Whats on
The LGBT+ Centre
Our news, views and opinions
LGBT Awareness
Visit our shop
Our community cafe - Sidney St.