In 2019 the Art Activist showcase took place in Liverpool, hosted by GYRO on Sat 18th May 2019.
The winners were
1. GLOW Halton
2. THE Action Youth and GYRO
3. Bridgewater Salford
Art Activist is a creative project that promotes Artivism – using art and performance as a means of raising awareness of a particular issue, and as a vehicle to evoke change.
- Visual art (painting, sculpture, drawing, photographs, film)
- Creative writing (including poetry, fiction and non-fiction)
- Performance (e.g. acting, singing, dancing, spoken word)
Art Activist acts as a bridge between two significant events in the LGBT+ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, plus other related identities) calendar:
- LGBT History Month is an annual celebration that takes place in February (in the UK). It recognises the struggles and triumphs of LGBT+ people and encourages people to be open and inclusive of LGBT+ people in all communities.
- International Day Against Homophobia (IDAHO) is held on May 17 each year, as this is the date in 1990, that the World Health Organisation declassified homosexuality as a mental illness. Sometimes it is called IDAHOBIT, in recognition of biphobia and transphobia.
Responding to the theme set for LGBT History Month, Art Activist encourages young people to become Artivists, creating art works and performance, to showcase at our annual event on or near IDAHOBIT.