Exit Site

Changing your gender marker

To change the gender marker on your passport, you will need to fill in the usual change of details form that everyone applying for a UK passport uses, which you can find here.

You will also need to provide a Gender Recognition Certificate, a new birth or adoption certificate with your new gender, or a letter from a doctor confirming that your change of gender will be permanent. You only need to provide one of these; most trans people will provide a letter from a doctor.

If you’re sending a letter from your doctor, all it needs to say is “[Name] is transgender and has changed their gender to [male/female]. This change is permanent.” Your usual GP is able to sign or stamp this letter, though they may charge a small fee.

If you’re sending a letter from your doctor, you’ll also need to send your deed poll, and some evidence that you’re actually using that name such as a payslip, bank statement or letter from the council.

Once you’ve changed your gender on your passport, you can just renew it when it expires without sending in anything extra.

Currently, the only available options in a UK passport are male (M) or female (F). Some countries also have an X gender marker, but the UK has not adopted this yet.

To change your gender, name or title on your driving licence you need to fill in the usual application form that everyone fills out. You just tick the gender that you want to be recorded. There is no special process for transgender people.

You will need to send a document confirming your change of gender. For most people this will be their deed poll or statutory declaration of changing name, but you could also send in a Gender Recognition Certificate, or a new birth or adoption certificate with your new gender.

Your gender marker isn’t displayed on your driving licence, but your driver number is different depending on how your gender is recorded by the DVLA; the last digit of your driver number will be 0 or 1 for male and 5 or 6 for female. Currently, the only available options for driving licences are male or female.

See here for government advice.

Most exam boards are able to change your name and gender on your exam certificates, even after they have sent them out. You may need to search the exam board’s website to find out what process they have in place.

Usually, they will need a copy of your deed poll or statutory declaration, and some evidence of your identity such as a passport, driving licence, or birth certificate and bank statement. You do not need a Gender Recognition Certificate in order to change your gender marker on exam certificates.

They may charge a fee to change your records.

Currently, most exam boards only offer male or female options.

Your school, college or university can legally record you under the gender you ask them to. They do not need any extra evidence from you to do this.

We recommend seeking guidance from Brighton and Hove City Council’s Trans Inclusion Schools Toolkit.

Most universities have done this many times before, as they usually have many transgender students.

You can change your gender with the NHS just by asking your GP practice. They do not need any evidence. If they are unsure, they may feel reassured by seeing the guidance from the General Medical council here.

They may assign you a new NHS number.

Currently, the only options available are male and female.

The information contained on this page is intended as a general statement of the law and is true at the time of writing. Specific advice on a particular problem should always be sought from a qualified source.


* indicates required

The Proud Trust will use the information you provide on this form to be in touch with you and to provide updates and marketing. Please let us know all the ways you would like to hear from us:

You can change your mind at any time by clicking the unsubscribe link in the footer of any email you receive from us, or by contacting us at info@theproudtrust.org. We will treat your information with respect. For more information about our privacy practices please visit our website. By clicking below, you agree that we may process your information in accordance with these terms.

We use Mailchimp as our marketing platform. By clicking below to subscribe, you acknowledge that your information will be transferred to Mailchimp for processing. Learn more about Mailchimp’s privacy practices here.


Would you like to give some feedback on your experience on this website today?